Benefits of using HEV Technology.
HEV Technology Implementation.
Hybrid Electric Vehicle Technology:
Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) combines two or more energy sources to provide vehicle mobility.
Typically these sources are an Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) and an electric motor powered by
batteries, merging the best features of today's combustion engine vehicles and electric vehicles.
The combination allows the electric motor and batteries to help the conventional engine operate
more efficiently, cutting down on fuel use. Meanwhile, the ICE overcomes the limited driving range
of an electric vehicle. In the end, this hybridization provides the ability to drive 500 miles or
more using less fuel and never having to plug in for recharging. HEVís provide the ability to achieve
the following towards improving fuel economy and performance:
- Recover energy during the Braking Events (Regenerative Braking)
- Operate the ICE at the most efficient operating range and utilize Electric Drive for the rest of the operating range.
Electric Drive has very high torque capability at low speeds and is ideal for launch acceleration phase of vehicle operation.
- Reduces the Engine idle losses by shutting off the ICE during idle and deceleration
- Downsize the engine: this reduces the weight, cost and emissions.
- Opportunity to reengineer the power-train/drive-train for reducing driveline losses
Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV) offer the third source of energy (Electric Grid) allowing the
battery to be charged when vehicle is not in use. A Fuel Cell can also replace the ICE as a power source and thus be called FC-PHEV
HEVs with ICE are among a select few vehicle technologies that can provide dramatically increased fuel economy
and extremely low levels of smog-forming and cancer causing emissions, while delivering the safety, reliability
and performance the public has come to expect. The ICE can operate using conventional fuels (Gasoline and Diesel),
Bio Fuels, CNG, LPG and other Alternate Fuels, and Hydrogen which produces water vapor in tailpipe emissions and
almost no other pollutants.
But that all depends on how well automakers apply the technology. All HEVís are not equal as Technical Ingenuity
matters. Engineers can customize the drive systems for specific vehicle applications and duty cycles for both On-Road/Off-Road
Return to the top.
Benefits of using Hybrid Electric Vehicle Technology:
- Substantially reduce petroleum consumption.
- Use alternative energy sources for mobility, thus reduce dependence on imported oil.
- Use renewable energy sources, thus reduce carbon footprint and dependence on fossil fuels for mobility.
- Meet increased fuel economy standards while reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Aid in the nationís economic recovery by creating US based jobs
- Provide a unique driving experience and meet or exceed customer expectations for safety, reliability and performance.
Return to the top.
Hybrid Electric Vehicle Technology Implementation:
We must accelerate the development and production of various HEV systems.
- In order to meet this goal, the vehicle support and awareness needs to be in place.
- Engineers need the necessary education for vehicle development.
- Technicians and service personnel need training to maintain the vehicles and support infrastructure.
- Public and future generations need to be well educated about HEVís by establishing education projects that
accelerate the mass market introduction and penetration of HEVís, which includes light, medium, and heavy duty advanced
electric vehicles (EV), plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV), and fuel cell electric vehicles (FCV).
- Education programs include educational outreach encompassing the basics of the technologies; technician
training for servicing the advanced vehicles, their components, and the required recharging infrastructure; emergency
responder and safety training for vehicles.
- Educating consumers on the basics of advanced electric drive vehicles to increase consumer acceptance and market demand.
- Training service personnel and vehicle mechanics for working with HEVís and their supporting infrastructure,
- Creating new training programs to ensure the availability of trained electrical and mechanical engineers with the
skills necessary for the advancement of HEVs.
- Provide engineering Professional Development Programs to advance the development of vehicles and components.
- Develop appropriate Training and Instructional Material for the above.
- Deliver instruction in an effective and efficient manner with face to face instruction and small class size
and hands-on learning experience.
Return to the top.
|Address all the above by providing the following key components:|
- Develop and Deliver Short Courses for Professional Development of Engineers and other Technical Professionals
in the industry, or aspiring to enter the vehicle industry, and all other persons who need to acquire the knowledge
about the HEVís.
- Provide face to face instructional delivery to the extent possible in small class size environment and hands-on
learning experience for optimum learning effectiveness.
Provide Research and Consulting support to the vehicle industry and others as needed.